Tuesday, April 5, 2011

More or Less...

Like I said earlier, you have to make sure to keep an honest list of the important crap when you plan on getting loose of the bonds and heading out to the World's Edge. My list expands, then shrinks, then expands, then shrinks again. It's a real pain in the ass. Seems like every time I think I got it figured, I look around and realize that something I "needed" doesn't fit, or something I didn't think I needed becomes necessary, and I have to find more space.

I'm planning on getting some crash-course time in this coming weekend in Sonora for the DTMC swap meet. I'll be vending, so taking old parts and new stuff too will help figure out how much I can manage easily, while getting some miles under me with regards to tiny-ass-RV living can't hurt either. OK, OK, I know the rig is frickin' huge all things considered, but when you go from your house, no matter how big, to around 300 square feet, you have to stomach some life-shock regardless of your tastes.

Again, I send out the challenge to you that bother to take it to go into your own existence and look around to simplify what you have, what you do, and what you plan on. Doesn't mean you have to wander like Kung Fu, or hole up all hermit style, but find a place that fits for you and start at the beginning. Shed some crap. Quit your debt. Break the mold that the world has you set up in.

I get asked what people should be planning for, and the only thing I can come up with is this - Figure out what your personal worst-case scenario would be and build up a contingency plan for dealing with it. Zombie Apocalypse? Great, figure out what you need to make as many head-shots as possible and go get it. Bank melt-down? Perfect, figure out what to do with your money that gives you things that are still worth something to the people you're going to need to deal with. Basically, find a way to make sure you only have those close to you to worry about, and not some credit collector or flunky from the government trying to get in your pocket when the going gets rough.

Sound far-fetched? Maybe. But look at it like this - If in the end, the world gets all golden-age on us again, the planning you do will only bring success to you as well. You'll be ready for the good as much as the bad right? If you size down and keep making the same or better money at your J.O.B., you'll be sitting pretty and ready for action. But if the planet serves up a shit sandwich in the near future, would you rather look back and say "dang, I should've lost 50 pounds and bought that Zombie-matic 2000 when I had the chance", or realize that you did the right stuff and were prepared for anything? It's up to you. I got my way, you go get yours.

I got packing to do. See ya out there.

1 comment:

Aaron@VanguardCycle.com said...

well said my man, well said.