Saturday, May 8, 2010

Remember When?

Remember when shit was so much simpler? When people did what they did because they loved it and didn't have to deal with the nonsense BS of everyone being "out for self"? Remember when what people said actually held true? You know, they actually meant it and weren't just saying what you wanted to hear. If you don't, I feel for you.

I journeyed out behind the Orange Curtain today and had lunch with my long-time friend Steve. You see, Steve and I met back in 1988 when everything seemed different. It was still filled with angst-ridden punk and hardcore, pushing hard for the next show to get on a bill with the bands you loved, but a bunch of us did what we did for reasons beyond the next dollar or getting over on people to reach some fabled "top" of a ladder.

Life didn't have rungs back then. We just did what we did to have some fun, make enough to eat and survive, and take care of those close to you. Printing t-shirts and selling them for break-even. Recording your buddy's band and not worrying about when they were going to pay you. You knew the friends you kept would come through for you exactly the same way you did for them. Helping every time you could with everything you had. When you said something, you fucking did it. No bullshit.

Well, Steve and I remember and it seems like we both still do things for pretty much the same reason. It might not be making 7"s or playing shows any more, but we still put our hearts out there to show people what we're made out of and what our intentions are. Not too long back, Steve, Rich and Bear from Insted did an album with Roger from Agnostic Front. The Alligators. It rules. Check 'em out. Guess what? They didn't do it for money. They didn't do it to "get the band back together and tour, because we're broke". They did it, because they love this shit. I love this shit too. I did the artwork for that album and there was never a conversation about money. Everyone knew that wasn't the purpose. The purpose was to make a bitchin' record and get it to people like us.

Too bad people these days are too stuck in a place of fear and insecurity to face the truth - not everyone is out to fuck you over. Some people still do what they do just for the fun and the love of it. Some people don't want a reality show. Some people don't give a fuck who's at the top. Hell, simply saying there's someone at the top, immediately places you below them. While I understand and admire proper humility, I also realize that I exist beneath no one. I'm just like you. Right there next to you and not trying to put my foot on your head. You do something better than me. I do something else better than you. Great! That could be twice as much good shit getting done. If everyone could realize this, and live like this, imagine what we could do.

Good way to spend lunch. Getting back to basics with those you started off with in the first place. Steve you rule. Thanks for the tacos.

Haha! I found this photo of Insted on the tour where I met them in 88. Good geebus, we've gotten old... and forgotten where we put our bleach.

Now go listen to THIS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss those days so much. You are so right. --Ray