Monday, May 24, 2010

More of what you already know...

So I got the tank prepped, and then primed up and ready for basecoat paint. I made the most piss-poor excuse for a paint booth and it's a lucky thing I'm not dead I suppose. I'll wait to grace you with photos once I get the new, improved booth version done tomorrow.

As for primer, I just picked up some sandable grey from the local auto parts store and went to town. This stuff is RustOleum or whatever and I've found it's as good as anything I've mixed before. I'm no paint expert, but a fast curing, sandable primer that doesn't glop on and seems solid in every use? Sign me up. A good first coat with about 3 passes on it and then sand with 320 grit wet to start after curing for around 15 minutes. I put a little dish soap in my water (very little) to keep it lubing better. Did this VERY lightly and kept moving. Work up to 600 wet to knock down any unsightly scratching. Give it a good last rinse with the water and then rub with a clean paper towel. I use the blue shop ones since they're not as rough as the kitchen type, but whatever. Once I'm done, I like to use a medium tack cloth to make sure I get all the dust and paint crap off. Key is to keep the tack moving and not stay in one spot too long. Make sure it's dry and then repeat the whole process.  I did this a total of 3 times. Overkill? Maybe. I had the paint and the time, so might as well not skimp on the part that dictates a large part of how well the rest of the job goes. I move from 320 grit as a starter to 600 on the second coat then all the way up to 1500 by the 3rd coat. I don't sand after the final prime coat though. It should be pretty good if you got the other coats smooth, and the little roughness will promote better adhesion of the base coat.

Tank on the rack and first coat of primer down -


A little wet sanding... Remember to use latex gloves, keeps the oil to a minimum.


All primed up after 4 coats (3 sanded and one final not sanded) -


I got right back after it and hit the tank with the first coat of jet black base coat. I'm using ALSA corp paints for this one. I've had great experience with them in the past, but this time around, got shit on right out of the gates. About halfway through the first coat, the can started sputtering. I caught it and started putting more on my test board. (I use a piece of cardboard and hold it in my non-spraying hand. Hit it after about 4 passes with the can each time to keep the "blobbing" from going on the tank. I reshake the can after about 10 passes or so, and clean the tip after 20ish) Thought I had it licked and then BANG! right as I'm finishing up the coat, the bottom of the can distends and spurts a bunch of spatters out. Luckily, they were all on the top surface and not on a corner. I was able to sand them out after letting the tank sit for about 45 minutes. Took this base layer down further than I wanted though, and now I'm out of luck. About half the material still in the can, and no way I'm going to use it anymore. I was a cheap bastard and only bought one can of base, since I'm doing their chrome system, and you don't have to layer it very much in that application. Oh well. Live and learn.

Here's the tank with one coat of black after sanding. Not bad, but gotta wait now before I can get another 2 coats on and continue. -


So now it's hurry up and wait time. To ALSA's credit, they were champs on the phone today and didn't even need much explanation. Dude said "man, that sucks! Let's get you out TWO new cans to make up for it." Holy shit! You mean, not only does a company get that their product broke and it wasn't "user error", but they are going out of their way to make it better than just right??? No way. Ok, I'll take it! Paint should be here tomorrow and I'll be back in biz. Gives me time to redo the booth and stuff anyway.

I did get a chance during all the wait-for-paint-to-dry time to get the bars changed over and put those nice purple grips on! Can you say "match the frame perfectly"? Of course you can. Good ol' chrome, narrowed mini apes feel right at home. Now just need to get rid of that big goddamn MC/lever for the front brake.



Hopefully, I'll have more to go on tomorrow. If not, I'll start the rear fairing and the headlight bracket crap. Later

No comments: