Thursday, May 13, 2010

Arizona's all out of luck... literally!

You may ask "why, sir, is Arizona out of luck?"... First I'll tell you not to call me sir, then I'll explain to you that Arizona is out of luck, because my pops just stole it all. No joke. All of it. Gone. Nothing left for you.

As some of you know, my pops has been headed in a bad direction after his stroke 3 years back. Job's been tough to do and even harder making ends meet with all the disruption to life that a stroke can cause. I've been pushing him to move out to Cali and live with me for over a year so he could forget his worries and let me pick up the bill. You know, pay back for the years of grief I gave him growing up. Anyways, he finally accepted and I flew out to Texas to get him on Monday. The goal was to drive back to SoCal and live happily ever after. Well, somewhere right around Tucson, AZ, that plan went all to hell. He was driving his Nissan P/U with the Uhaul attached and the trailer started bucking a little rough coming up over a hill around 55Mph. It got all sideways and he went up under the semi in the right lane. Fucking tanker ran right over the cab and spit the truck out causing it to roll 4 times before coming to a stop in the middle of the freeway. I'm following right behind and just freaking out knowing I just saw my Dad die.

I jump out of the jeep I'm driving while it's still coming to a stop and run to the truck full tilt boogie. The cab has collapsed down to the steering wheel, and there's no more camper or passenger side to speak of. Everything that was in the cab is crushing my pops, but somehow, he's alert and alive. Unfuckingbelievable, but he didn't break a single bone. No concussion. Hardly any roadrash at all. He got a pretty bad arterial cut on his temple, but no bruising on the brain or anything. What the fuck? The dude is either indestructible, or as I say, he just sucked every last bit of luck out of the state of Arizona. One guy at the nearby truckstop rabbited over the highway fence and came to the rescue to put pressure on the bleeding artery while I pulled the windshield out. This little dude is a hero in my opinion. He jumped into the cab and wiggled into what little space there was to keep my pops from moving and keep the bleeding down. EMTs showed almost instantly and got my dad to the hospital pronto. Turns out my brother-in-law has a brother in Tucson. He and his family offered us rooms at their house to stay and his wife is even a doctor. Dad made it through the night with flying colors and we drove the rest of the way back to SoCal today. He's beat up pretty bad in the stiff-and-bruised department, and I'm probably still in shock, but if you were going to have something like this happen, this is the best way to have it turn out. Period. Glad to have you pops!  


Truck after the pneumatic jaws cut the roof off -


4 comments:

dkb/Oily Side Down said...

HOLY SHIT!!! I'm glad your pops is okay.

Craze! said...

Thanks man, me too. Week from hell for sure

LMB said...

Gives me goosebumbs, your dad must have a angel looking over him

Hognuts said...

Goddamn! That's the craziest (no pun intended) story I have heard in quite some time. Not sure how its possible, but glad to hear he made it!