Saturday, May 14, 2011

And We Wonder Why...

Just saw this. Pretty much says anything one could say on the subject and does so intelligently and succinctly. The day America died wasn't the day a salesman stood up and said "Nothing gets done until a salesman sells it," it was the day Americans started to believe it. 

We've declined from a producing nation to one of near-pure consumption. We're all at fault. We've got to start learning the trades that made us great once again, and not rely on "somebody else" to do the tough things. We've grown complacent and lazy and require this unknown "someone else" to do just about anything of importance for us these days. Too bad that we're running out of "someone else". 

Baby Boomers were the last generation to really understand and invest in the trades, and they are retiring in droves. Who's going to pick up the torch? Who's going to fill the jobs that are out there? It's not going to be the ones who think higher learning is all about keeping their hands clean, I can assure you that. 


2 comments:

kevinhog@aol.com said...

Thanks for sharing that video, I posted it on my blog and to FB. This is really important shit, we have raised a bunch of sullen entitled brats who think the world should be an easy place to live.
I have witnessed this first hand where I work. twenty somethings come in to do the job I do at the LAUSD and leave a few days later becuase it's too hard, or because they had to go into scary hoods.
When I was a kid and there was a guy in the neihborhood like me, kids woul;d be there bugging that guy, and trying to see what he was doing.;
I have been at this house now for 12 years, working in my garage, open to the world and would be happy to take on an aprentice. No one has ever showed up...that alone gives me pause. Who the hell is going to build the next choppers and hot rods...Maybe W was right when he talked about work that Americans won't do, maybe we really do need illegal aliens to pick up where we left off. Scares the shit out of me brother.

Craze! said...

You hit it on the head man. I hear the excuses that we need to offer amnesty to illegals, because they do the jobs "American's don't want to do". Really? Or is it that they can actually do jobs that American's have forgotten are important?